The pupils who attend our school all have an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) with their primary area of need being social, emotional and/or mental health difficulties (SEMH). Some pupils may have attendant learning difficulties or gaps in their attainment. We have one full-time class at key stage 1 and four full-time classes at key stage 2.
As a department we aim to:
- Offer a curriculum that is balanced and broadly based and which promotes the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of our pupils
- Provide clear rules and routines to enable our pupils to feel safe and secure
- Provide a system of rewards and sanctions to encourage our pupils to acknowledge the school behaviour policy and their own individual targets
- Encourage pupils to reflect on their behavior and learn to take responsibility for their own actions
- Provide personalised additional support in Literacy for those pupils identified as needing it
- Offer counselling facilities to enable pupils to develop emotionally
- Prepare our pupils for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of adult life
- Maintain links with mainstream schools and facilitate our pupil’s return to mainstream education wherever possible
The Primary Department works closely with other agencies, which include the Educational Psychology Service, Education Welfare Officer, School Health, Social Care and Speech and Language therapists.